Monday, May 21, 2012

email: May 21, 2012

This week has been a full one. I am starting to see miracles happen here out in the field. The first one is kind of a small one but it strengthened my testimony of prayer so much. We had a lesson that we went on splits with the Spanish missionaries. One went with Chambers to the lesson and one with me to go tracting. When we were out tracting, we came to a street corner and had no idea where to go. The Elder said pray and see where we need to go. I prayed and felt like we needed to stay going straight on the street we were on. Come to find out, we ended up talking to a lady that was looking for the Gospel. The Spanish Elder set up a return appointment to see her again. Even though that was a small miracle, it boosted my testimony so much. 


On Sunday, we taught a less active member that we found the third week we were in the area. He came to church with us for the first time in a few years. His name is Adam and he has been through soooo much as a 26 year old. He had a major heart attack, went into multiple cardiac arrests, went into a coma, and died eight times. He has been through so much and now they found pre-cancer tissue in his stomach. After church, we had a lesson with him. We had no idea what we were going to teach him so while Chambers added up numbers, I prayed about what we could teach him. I felt like we needed to teach the Restoration so that was the plan. When we got there, he asked if we could teach him about how the church came about. That was exactly what we had planned to talk about. That was another confirmation to him that the church is true and for me to know that prayer does work. 


We found a new couple that we are teaching as well. They are actually my age, living together in their own place. Matt and Aleena are super interested in what we have to say and we gave them a Book of Mormon. We came by another time and we ended up reading 3 Nephi 11 with them and some friends while they smoked houkka (its a type of tobacco). They want to learn so much about the church. 


We also are teaching a girl named Elaine. We talked to her outside her house but her dad ran us off because he didn't feel comfortable with us being there while he was at work. We gave her a mormon.org card and left. We got a referral from her in the coming days and now she is really progressing. And we are going to have a baptism in the upcoming weeks so that is something to look forward to. Jessica and Demetris are making progress as well. They didn't come to church on Sunday... but they are working on keeping the commandments so that is a positive. 


Sure do love you all, keep working hard! Oh I have a new favorite scripture. This past two weeks, something happened that really bothered me and got my mind off of the work. I read 1 Corinthians 13:11 (I think) where it says that there is a time to leave childish things behind and to become a man. I love that scripture and has really helped me. Sure do love yall!


Elder Tonini

No comments:

Post a Comment