Monday, March 19, 2012

Letter: March 9, 2012

I typically correspond with Elder Tonini via mailed letters so that he can read and respond to them at his convenience (they are able to use public computers to email home but only have about 30 minutes each week).  When we got home this weekend from Spring break activities, I had a letter waiting for me.  Included were a few pictures:

This is a picture of him with his companion, Elder Braithwaite.  In the lobby of the MTC is this large world map and by tradition, every missionary stands in front of it, pointing to their mission.  I am glad to see that they have kept up the tradition.



In the MTC, missionaries are assigned to a district (see yesterday's post).  In addition to a picture of his district, he also sent a picture of him with two other Elders in his district: 

Fortunately, it was easy to pick out which one was Elder Kaluhiokalani because by reading the back of the picture, Elder Tonini hasn't figured out the convention of listing people from left to right!

In his letter, he talks about continuing to focus on his teaching skills:

We don't teach specific lessons any more, it's about what the Spirit tells us to say.  It is a huge challenge sometimes to teach by the Spirit but at the same time, it is seriously amazing.  We got our first commitment to baptism today!  That was the most awesome feeling ever.  Even though it was a practice investigator, we listed to her and asked inspired questions to her in order to get her to open up.  It was an amazing experience.

He also told me a little bit more about Brother DuBois, the Dutchman he met at the Salt Lake Conference Center:

He taught me something that I will never forget.  He said that there are two things that are not in God's vocabulary: luck and coincidence.  He told me stories and experiences he has had.  It was a pretty cool experience and it wasn't by luck that we came to talk to him.

He concludes:

Well, I think I am coming down with something and I feel like crap.  I'm pretty miserable right now.  But I'm not complaining and keeping my head up.  Sure do love you and miss you.  Send my love to Mom.

He leaves for Riverside on Tuesday so please keep him in your prayers as he begins this next phase of his mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment