Monday, February 4, 2013

email: February 4, 2013

From the emails that I got from the kids, sounds like things are going well. I have the best family in the world. Grandpa Baugh (that's what I call him, he reminds me so much of Grandpa Tonini that it is crazy) mentioned that he sent Dad and Grandma Tonini an email. He and Sister Baugh are so good to me. Their youngest granddaughter is stuck to my hip every time that she sees me ha-ha. Kind of reminds me of home. Family in Virginia sent me a bunch of pictures of the family with a little note on it. It was so exciting to see the Tull-Youngberg kids and the Bales. It made my night when I got to see them.

This was a crazy week for me. We had all sorts of meetings and lessons that we went to. I had a very unique experience as well on Tuesday. My Elders Quorum president's wife is a horse trainer. In their backyard, they have over five horses on a three-acre piece of land. They had just picked up a wild Mustang that the wife was going to tame and train. However, this horse was CRAZY and they had to build a brand new stable for Black Ice (that's the horse) because she kept jumping out of the other ones that they had. So they called us to come over and lend a hand so that the stable would be built faster. Boy did I feel at home on a ranch with my boots and Wranglers on. We got it put up and we got to see the wife work with the horse. This horse was CRAZY! And the wife is a tiny woman so it was kind of nerve racking for me to watch her get thrown around like she did. However, she finally got the horse to calm down and she started to work with her. It was amazing to see how big of a transformation that Black Ice went through. I noticed a correlation when it came to the gospel. We are all this crazy, wild spirit that needs some guidance and discipline. Just like how Sister Rogers was able to tame the horse down, that's what the gospel can do for us. Instead of Sister Rogers at the reign, it is Christ who calms us down and brings us back to where we need to be. It was quite a unique experience to be a part of.

Wednesday, we had a random lady call us asking if we could help her out. We had no idea who she was but we went over anyways. Her name was Karina, a single mom with four kids living with her sister and parents. They needed some financial help so they had the impression to call us. So we went over to assess the situation and ended up teaching them the Restoration. Karina was very interested in what we had to say. We set up a time to come back and see them so we were able to pick up three new people to teach! It is crazy how the Lord will lead the people to us that are in need of help and the gospel.

We had our Zone Leader Council on Thursday and talked with all the zone leaders about stuff going on in the mission. Even though that takes up most of the day, I do enjoy being a part of those councils. Now, something crazy happened that night. We had our lesson with Ken and that went very well. He is reading the Doctrine and Covenants every day and is praying. We answered questions and talked more about church with him. As we were about to leave, he seriously blew my mind. He told me that he has a "date". I was confused for a moment but then explained that he has a date in mind for his baptism. He said he prayed about it and he feels like April 6th of this year is the day. Something crazy about that date that he picked: that is Christ's real birthday and the Church was re-organized in 1830 on that date. It blew my mind that he picked a date then when my ward mission leader brought that to my attention, it blew my mind even more.

Our usual zone meeting went well too. Elder Ete did most of the talking so it was nice to see him take the lead on the meeting. We all went to Alberto's afterwards and got carne asada fries.

Oh boy, they were so good! I seriously have the best zone. We are so close that we could seriously be one big family. And I guess that's how it’s supposed to be. I love that feeling. Saturday was filled with supporting the ward in some of their functions and going out to eat with a RM from our ward to Five Guys. It was good to hear his advice and the time I got to talk with him. His mom even bought us FIVE boxes of Girl Scout cookies! Super good.

Sunday was a very satisfying day because I got to see Blake bless the sacrament for the second time, having him bear his testimony with me, and then to have him be extended a calling as a ward missionary! That was super exciting to see. I love seeing how far he has come. Best part is, his dad is starting to be more accepting to his decision to be baptized. We also had a baptism in the Samoan ward on Sunday. Samoans sure do know how to throw a baptism! There is always food. Y'all should ask Troy Ita if he has any family up here. Overall, it was a good week. Kind of a crazy one but things definitely went well.

I will be looking forward to the packages. I can't believe that I turn 20 in less than a week. Best part is that the youth are doing a special sacrament program that I get to be a part of with. I have grown very close to the young men in my ward. I also hit my year mark in a few weeks. Boy has time flown.

Thank you for your support and love. I love and miss y'all dearly. Have a wonderful week and always remember that I love you.

Elder Tonini

No comments:

Post a Comment